The preserve of green beans in oil is perfect to make in the summer to have them in the pantry for the whole winter: here are the tricks to make them crunchy and tasty.
THE green beans are typically spring and summer vegetables. Botanically they are part of the legume family, such as beans, lentils, chickpeas, cicerchie and so on, but since the whole pod is harvested and consumed as it is, they are considered as vegetables.
This is why green beans, despite being legumes, are served as a side dish and then included in the diet as vegetables, to accompany meat or fish main courses. However, being typically spring and summer consuming them all year round can be difficult.
Obviously you can always fall back on frozen products but if we want to savor the summer ones also in other seasons, we will have to making preserves: here are the tricks to prepare crispy and tasty green beans in oil and have them available for the whole winter.
Here’s how to prepare the preserved green beans in oil
Between summer vegetables par excellence we find green beans, rich in beneficial substances but at the same time low in calories. They can be cooked in many different ways, with this secret ingredient they are deliciousbut their limit is that they are found in a specific and limited period of the year, namely late spring and summer.
If otherwise we want to taste them also in other seasons and do not want to buy the frozen ones we can keep them in oil so as to have them available for the whole winter. Crunchy and tasty, green beans in oil can be served as a side dish accompanying meat or fish dishes, otherwise as an appetizer, served together with cold cuts and cheeses and croutons.
Preparing them is really simple, the in fact, the procedure is very quick. It is important to know sterilize the jars, an operation that must be done in advance, essential to prevent the formation of any dangerous toxins for the body. And now all that remains is to get to work.
Recipe for 4 people
Preparation time: 30 minutesCopyAMP code.
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
- 1 kilo of green beans
- 500 ml of water
- 500 ml of vinegar
- 2 chillies
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 4-5 bay leaves
- to taste extra virgin olive oil
- salt to taste
- Let’s start by washing the green beans well and removing any residue of dirt or earth.
- Let’s check them out one by one.
- In a large saucepan, pour the water and vinegar and a pinch of coarse salt and bring to a boil.
- As soon as it boils, add the green beans and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Once they are cooked but still crunchy, drain them with a slotted spoon and let them dry on a clean cloth (which does not have too many smells of soaps).
- Now place the green beans in a sterilized jar and add the sliced garlic, the chili pepper, then put the then trying to insert it on the edges of the jar.
- At the last we cover with oil up to the tops so that all the green beans are submerged.
- We close the jars hermetically and store in the pantry. After about a month we can consume them.
Instead of olive oil we can also use seed oil. With these quantities we will make about two jars of 400-500 grams each. If we want to increase the doses, just increase the quantity of green beans and consequently also that of water and vinegar.