Where most migrants land in Italy

Where most migrants land in Italy
Where most migrants land in Italy
CopyAMP code
On the evening of Tuesday 24 January the government has indicated to the NGO ship Geo Barents, carrying 69 migrants rescued off the coast of Libya, to head for the city of La Spezia, in Liguria. In recent weeks, other NGO ships had had to disembark people rescued in the Mediterranean Sea in ports in Northern and Central Italy, such as Anconain the Marches, e Ravennain Emilia-Romagna.

According to the government, which in recent weeks has approved also a new code of conduct for NGOs, this strategy is justified by the high number of landings in the southern regions. According to critics, however, the government wants to make the rescue operations of the NGOs more complicated, with additional days of navigation before arriving in a port, in the face of small numbers compared to those of total landings.

Numbers in hand, let’s see in recent years where the most migrants have landed in Italy, who are then distributed to reception centers throughout the country.

According to data from the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (unhcr) and the Institute for International Political Studies (Inspi), in 2022 about 105,000 migrants landed in Italy, of which over 10,000 aboard NGO ships, a number equal to about 10 percent. The remaining 90 percent of the landed migrants were rescued by Coast Guard ships or reached the Italian coast independently.

According to data processing done by Victor NicolettaPhD student in decision systems at Université Laval del Québec (Canada), in 2022 almost 75 percent of migrants landed in Sicily. In second place we find Calabria, with about 17 percent of landings, followed by Puglia, with less than 5 percent.

.


The article is in Italian

CopyAMP code

Italy

Tags: migrants land Italy

PREV Moto2, Alonso Lopez among the 2023 favorites? “I just think about having fun”
NEXT Cospito, in Rome Molotov cocktails against the police district